Episode 399 – Aussie Tech Heads Shownotes

posted in: Show Notes | 0

GLENN’S SHOWNOTES 

 
 
IBM is to become an enterprise reseller and ISV for iPads and iPhones, under an unexpected deal announced today by Apple CEO Tim Cook and IBM CEO Ginni Rometty.
Under the terms of the deal, IBM’s MobileFirst division will provide enterprise sales and on-site support for iOS devices and applications in time for the release of iOS 8.
 
IBM will handle everything from supply of devices to activation and management services for enterprise customers.
Apple in turn will develop a new enterprise-grade support option under its AppleCare support program.
 
The two companies will also commit to developing over a hundred enterprise apps specific to the retail, healthcare, banking, travel and transportation, telecommunications and insurance sectors, with tie-ins to IBM’s hosted big data and analytics capabilities. IBM pledged to throw more than 100,000 industry consultants and software developers behind this effort.
The deal does not mean that IBM will cease to resell other mobile devices such as those running Google’s Android.
 
Randall Cameron, national sales director for MSC “It won’t make a mark in Australia because the market is very different. Here, Apple and the carriers have very strong relationships,” said Cameron. “In the US, Apple sold directly to government and enteprise. But [in Australia] enterprise has gone through the carriers to buy Apple.”

 
The revived Start Menu for Windows 8.1 has allegedly leaked in a screenshot posted online.
 
If the leaked image is genuine, this could hint at the possibility of a customisable menu, similar to what is already available on the Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows Phone Start Screens.
However, users will likely have to wait until 2015 to get their hands on the new version of the old menu, when Microsoft is expected to roll out a major Windows update.

 
Microsoft said it has freed at least 4.7 million infected personal computers from control of cyber crooks in its most successful digital crime-busting operation
 
India, followed by Pakistan, Egypt, Brazil, Algeria and Mexico have the largest number of infected machines, in the first high-profile case involving malware developed outside Eastern Europe.
Richard Domingues Boscovich, assistant general counsel of the unit, said Microsoft would quickly provide government authorities and Internet service providers around the world with the IP addresses of infected machines so they can help users remove the viruses.
 
Microsoft located the compromised PCs by intercepting traffic headed to servers at Reno, Nevada-based Vitalwerks Internet Solutions, which the software maker said criminals used to communicate with compromised PCs through free accounts on its No-IP.com services
 
The operation, which began on June 30 under a federal court order, targeted malicious software known as Bladabindi and Jenxcus, which Microsoft said work in similar ways and were written and distributed by developers in Kuwait and Algeria.
 

 
 
Microsoft is following Google’s lead on Europe’s recent “right to be forgotten” policy.
Late last month Google began providing users the option to request that search results about themselves be deleted, and now, Microsoft will be extending the same to its Bing users, according to The New York Times.
 
All search engines, regardless of size, are subject to the ruling. Google has already received more than 70,000 link removal requests
 

 
Tokyo-based artist Megumi Igarashi, 42, was arrested on Saturday for sending data that could be used to create 3D models of her vagina.
The “obscene” data was sent after Igarashi completed a crowdfunding campaign with the goal of building a boat in the shape of a vagina
A police spokesman told AFP news agency she had distributed data that could “create an obscene shape”.
On her website, Ms Igarashi says she has made several pieces of art based on her genitals using a silicone mould, saying she wants to make vaginas “more casual and pop”.
The vagina “has been such a taboo in Japanese society… (it) has been thought to be obscene”, while penises are regarded as “part of pop culture”, she said.

Instead of a short phone call with the company, however, his experience turned into a 20-minute ordeal, as Block and his wife were berated by a Comcast “retention specialist” who doggedly refused to accept the request.
 

 
Footage from the new series of Doctor Who featuring the latest Time Lord Peter Capaldi has leaked on the internet six weeks prior to broadcast.
The incomplete material was in black and white, missing special effects and heavily watermarked.
BBC Worldwide said the breach was caused by a BBC office in the US and urged fans not to use the material.
Last week, a set of scripts for the programme marked “private and confidential” was leaked online.

On Wednesday the Washington Post reported on the case of a 17-year-old from Manassas, Virginia, who is facing felony charges for manufacturing and possessing child pornography after he allegedly texted nude images of himself to his 15-year-old girlfriend.
According to the boy’s defence attorney, Jessica Harbeson Foster, prosecutors in the Washington-area Prince William County want to bolster their case by taking photos of the suspect’s aroused penis and comparing it to the texted image using “special software”.
She says the prosecutors have plans if the teen does not willingly comply.
“We just take him down to the hospital, give him a shot and then take the pictures that we need,” Ms Foster says she was told.
Liked it? Take a second to support Aussie Tech Heads Podcast on Patreon!

Leave a Reply